Let's face it, most bloggers don't make a living doing this - so FREE is always a good thing right?
Today I am sharing 8 things you can do to improve your blog without spending a penny!! Try one or all eight, it's up to you, do them all right away or take your time going through the list. Enjoy!!
- Spring Clean - We all spring clean around the house this time of year, we just need to apply that philosophy to our blog. Open your blog from your URL, not where you edit (i.e. blogger, wordpress). Look at it with an open mind, is there any old information there? If so fix it now, don't wait until later you may forget to come back. How many badges do you have? If there are more than 3 or 4 consider creating a "Blogs I Love" or "Blogging Friends" Page. Check your links, if they don't work now is the time to correct them.
- Follow By Email - You are going to have loyal readers who never want to miss a post - give them the option of following your blog via email. I use the feedburner that is a Blogger Gadget you can add on using the layout page.
- Top Five Posts - When someone new stops by your blog give them a reason to stay, add a link to your top 5 posts to your sidebar. Again, popular post is in the Blogger Gadgets and it takes just a minute to add it. I know I get lots of clicks to my top posts, and gives readers a reason to stay around for a little longer.
- Search Box - I cannot tell you how many times I have been to a blog and wanted to read more on a particular subject and could not find a search box. Another freebie from Blogger Gadgets that is super easy to add!!
- Social Networking Buttons - In today's world of Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, you have to have a social presence. Readers who like your blog are going to want to connect with you on social networks, be sure to add social networking buttons near the top right hand side of your blog. I am definitely not the most tech savvy person out there, follow this link to Momcomm for Melissa's great post on this subject.
- Start A Series - Are you the "go-to-person" on a particular subject? Share your knowledge with the blogosphere. A series can be ongoing - like Mentoring Mondays - or can last for a week. It's up to you, it is your blog. A series could be "What To Pack For Your Walt Disney World Vacation" Monday - Babies & Toddlers, Tuesday - Preschoolers, Wednesday-School Age Kids, Thursday - Tweens & Teens, Friday - Mom & Dad. That's a weeks worth of blogging planned.
- Improve Your Photography - In general people are very visual, which means you need to have great photos on your blog. Search the web for photography tips (this Mentoring Mondays with Deb Silhan of Focused On The Magic is a great place to start). The SITS Girls had a recent photography series geared toward bloggers that is full of great information.
- Blogs About Blogging - Find one of the great blogs out there that are geared toward bloggers. A few of my favorites - Momcomm, The SITS Girls, and Problogger, all three are full of great advice for bloggers of all levels.
Hope you enjoyed today's list of FREE ways to improve your blog. Please share your free ideas in the comments below!!
Have a Magical Day!!